Development is increasing at an unprecedented rate, in Phnom Penh, leading to long lasting environmental and social impacts. Wasteful and unsustainable housing for the rich, which are routinely undertaken prior to conducting comprehensive environmental and social impact assessments, are undermining the enjoyment of decent housing for the urban poor and contributing to the current climate crisis.
Cambodia comprises the largest youth and adolescent population in the South East Asian region. The involvement of young people in social and environmental development issues has been observed via social media and in groups throughout Phnom Penh. As a result, the youth are critical players in building and strengthening public outreach and awareness on urban and environmental issues in Phnom Penh, and manifest the great potential to drive economic and social development.
We are interested in original research proposals analyzing one of the topics below, from a human rights and environmental perspective, possibly also to do with the context of Covid-19:
– Poverty and Human Rights
– Rights of Persons with Disabilities
– Women’s Rights
– Environment and Human Rights
– Environment and sustainability
– Climate change
– Trash in Phnom Penh
– Flooding in Phnom Penh
– Good governance of communal development plans in the urban poor community
– Economic Inequality in Phnom Penh
– Other topics related to Environment and Human rights
This project will aim to build the capacity of groups who are generally not given a voice, such as the urban poor and the youth, so that they are able to promote good environmental governance, in a safe and peaceful manner.
3. What Sahmakum Teang Tnaut Offers:
– Research grant: 800 USD to conduct individual research or group research.
– Technical support and monitoring during the research.
– Opportunity to be supported by STT to disseminate the paper via a soft-launch onto STT’s website.
Applicants are to meet the following criteria:
– Be nationals of Cambodia
– Applicants must have reached at least year two of a relevant university bachelor program, or be pursuing a graduate degree
– A candidate has the right to research only one topic
5. Deliverables expected from the researchers
The researchers are expected to join the various meetings and produce the following deliverables in Khmer or English.
|1||Interesting candidate registration for research||11-24, April 2022|
|2||Consultation Workshop on research||26 April 2022|
|3||Open submitting application||26 April to 03 May 2022|
|4||Shortlist candidates||06 May 2022|
|5||Oral interview||09 May 2022|
|6||Inform successor candidates||10 May 2022|
|7||First meeting with successor||14 May 2022|
|8||Providing technical support by STT experts||16-17 May 2022|
|9||Draft paper submission for review and input||10 June 2022|
|10||First paper submission||20 June 2022|
|11||Feedback commentary||27 June 2022|
|12||Second paper submission||30 June 2022|
|13||Second feedback commentary||7 July 2022|
|14||Final submission of the paper||15 July 2022|
|15||Reflection meeting with all grantees||19 July 2022|
7.How to Apply
Interested candidates can register through the link https://forms.gle/WRTNUbeCBp6mS1rb7 before 21 April 2022.