- Introduction and Background
Sahmakum Teang Tnaut Organization (STT) is located in Phnom Penh. STT was founded in 2005 and officially registered in 2006 as a local NGO supporting urban poor communities. “Teang Tnaut” means “Palm Leaves” and palm leaves are used by poor communities to build roofs and walls for their houses. This simplistic name was chosen to remind STT that its work serves the poorest members of society. STT started as a small NGO that focused on technical upgrades in poor communities, but over the past decade, many communities have been affected by development, land transfers, and evictions. As a result, STT has since grown to produce community maps, research, and advocacy in order to achieve its goal of helping poor communities realize their rights to land. Furthermore, STT also helps urban communities gain awareness of the ID Poor Program. STT’s efforts in Phnom Penh alone have reached 270,000 people so far. STT and its partners have helped communities express their concerns to national and international media, donors as well as national and international NGOs.
STT is looking to hire an external consultant(s) to write short persuasive or Investigative articles on social injustice, urban development, financial malpractice, and environmental issues in Cambodia until the end of 2023. The consultant(s) can be an individual or a team.
The purpose of this consultancy is to write 12 articles related to the social injustice, urban development, financial malpractice, and environmental issues in Phnom Penh.
- Methods and Activities
The consultant(s) will work at STT’s offices and at times remotely as appropriate throughout the consultancy, which is expected to last produce three articles per months. When working from STT’s premises, STT will offer office space and facilities, including a Wi-Fi connection. The consultant is expected to use certain methodologies as stated below:
- Develop a research methodology in collaboration with STT and partners to respond accurately to the objectives of the research.
- Conduct literature reviews on existing studies and papers on the research topics.
- Conduct field visits, interviews, surveys, desk research, case study, adding quotes in the article, and corporate data collection.
- Conduct in-depth interviews with members of the private sector, the government, journalists, and experts – if needed.
- Expected Outcome and Deliverable
The consultant(s) will submit to STT
- A final proposal including proposed methodology, work plan, and budget prior to the commencement of work. Draft title of articles to be reviewed by STT before the submission of the final version.
- Completed the final version of 12 articles (Around 600 words to 1500 words per article) in Khmer and English.
- Support team from STT
The consultant(s) will work closely with the Rights to the City Program Manager (RCPM), Research and Documentary Project Manager (RDPM), Human Resource and Admin Manager (HRAM), and relevant project managers and staff to facilitate this consultancy. Key contacts are as follows:
|1||Mr. Seang Muoylay||Rights to the City Program Manageremail@example.com|
|2||Mr. Suos Sopheap||Human Resource & Admin Managerfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|3||Mrs. Korm Chanraksmey||Research and Documentary Project Manageremail@example.com|
- Duration and Place of Work
This consultancy will commence as soon as possible, and the duration of the contract will be 3 months per 12 articles. Specific duration will be stated in the service agreement once the consultancy is offered.
- Consultancy Fee
The consultant will be compensated at a competitive rate with a maximum of 3,000.00 US Dollars.
- Required qualifications of the Consultant(s)
STT is looking for consultant(s) with the following qualifications:
- Experience in producing advocacy reports for advocacy purposes;
- Exceptional English writing skills;
- Understanding of the Cambodian legal and economic landscapes;
- Experience in investigative journalism is a plus;
- Ability to adhere to deadlines and flexibility;
- Highly effective team player;
- Good communication skills;
- Khmer speaker is an advantage.
- How to Apply
Interested candidates should send their application including: CV highlighting relevant experience, a proposal, budget, and sample work to STT’s Administration and Human Resources through email firstname.lastname@example.org. Note: Only shortlisted applicant (s) will be contacted for discussions and interviews.
Closing date: 08 September 2023
PDF File: Download