1. Introduction and Background
Sahmakum Teang Tnaut Organization (STT) is located in Phnom Penh. STT was founded in 2005 and officially registered in 2006 as a local NGO supporting urban poor communities. “Teang Tnaut” means “Palm Leaves” and palm leaves are used by poor communities to build roofs, and walls for their houses. This simplistic name was chosen to remind STT that its work serves the poorest members of society. STT started as a small NGO that focused on technical upgrades in poor communities but over the past decade, many communities have been affected by development, land transfers, and evictions. As a result, STT has since grown to produce community maps, research and advocacy in order to achieve its goal of helping poor communities realize their rights to land. Furthermore, STT also helps urban communities gain awareness of the ID Poor Program. STT’s efforts in Phnom Penh alone have reached 270,000 people. STT and its partners have helped communities express their concerns to national and international media, donors as well as national and international NGOs.
STT is looking to hire an external consultant to conduct research which will update a study on urban poor settlements in Phnom Penh conducted by STT in 2017.
The purpose of this consultancy is to conduct one research, aiming at providing an update to the published research on urban poor settlements with specific objectives as follows:
– To update and collect new data on existing urban poor settlements researched under STT’s 2017 “Phnom Penh Survey,” and identify potential new settlements.
– To produce up-to-date and accurate maps of the locations of urban poor settlements.
– To develop findings and recommendations for key stakeholders that will lead to positive outcomes for the urban poor.
3, Methods and Activities
The consultant will work at STT’s offices and/or remotely as appropriate throughout the consultancy, which is expected to last six months. When working from STT’s premises, STT will offer office space and facilities, including Wi-Fi connection. The consultant is required to use certain methodologies as stated below:
– Produce key research methodology that could accurately respond to the objectives of this consultancy and generate appropriate findings that lead to feasible recommendations
– Conduct literature reviews on existing studies, papers and gather evidence from various sources.
– Conduct field visits to collect certain information and reflect on the reality of communities/resettlement.
– Conduct focus group discussions, in depth interviews with community members and other relevant stakeholders to explore the challenges and seek further recommendations.
4. Expected Outcome and Deliverable
– Before commencement of work the consultant is required to submit a final proposal including proposed methodology, support strategy, clear work plan, timeframe and budget to STT.
– The submission of a draft report.
– Progress reports with verbal presentations of progress as appropriate.
– A final report on work undertaken and presentation to relevant staff and stakeholders.
– Arrange a workshop session plan and present it to STT’s relevant project staff and community members.
– The submission of map of resettlement sites in Phnom Penh
5. Support Team from STT
The consultant will work closely with the Program Manager, Housing Rights and Research Project Manager (HRRPM) and Senior Human Resource and Admin Officer and relevant project managers and staff to facilitate this consultancy.
6. Duration and Place of Work
This consultancy will commence as soon as possible and the duration of the contract will be 6 months from the start date. Specific duration will be stated in the service agreement once the consultancy is offered.
7. Consultancy Fee
The consultant will be compensated at a competitive rate.
8. Required qualifications of the Consultant
STT is looking for a consultant with the following qualifications:
– Minimum of Bachelor Degree in a relevant field.
– Extensive knowledge and concrete professional experience of social research;
– Thorough knowledge of using Excel and/or SPSS for data analysis;
– Five years experience in providing organizational consultancy services on the topics mentioned by STT above.
– Good communication skills
– Ability to adhere to deadlines and flexibility
– Khmer speaker is an advantage.
- How to Apply
Interested candidates should send their application including: CV highlighting relevant experience, a budget and sample work to STT’s Administration and Human Resources through email firstname.lastname@example.org. Note: Only shortlisted applicant (s) will be contacted for discussions and interviews.
Closing date: March 25, 2022 before 5pm