- Introduction and Background
Sahmakum Teang Tnaut Organization (STT) is located in Phnom Penh. STT was founded in 2005 and officially registered in 2006 as a local NGO supporting urban poor communities. “Teang Tnaut” means “Palm Leaves” and palm leaves are used by poor communities to build roofs and walls for their houses. This simplistic name was chosen to remind STT that its work serves the poorest members of society. STT started as a small NGO that focused on technical upgrades in poor communities, but over the past decade, many communities have been affected by development, land transfers, and evictions. As a result, STT has since grown to produce community maps, research and advocacy in order to achieve its goal of helping poor communities realize their rights to land. Furthermore, STT also helps urban communities gain awareness of the ID Poor Program. STT’s efforts in Phnom Penh alone have reached 270,000 people. STT and its partners have helped communities express their concerns to national and international media, donors as well as national and international NGOs.
STT is looking to hire an external consultant to conduct comprehensive research on Land Security of Urban Poor Communities: Challenges and Solutions. The research will cover 11 urban poor communities in Phnom Penh.
The purpose of this consultancy is to conduct one comprehensive research to find urban poor communities’ land issues followed by an analysis covering existing national and international laws, policies, and other legal documents to get possible solutions relating to land and housing rights issues. The research will consist of 11 case studies.
- To be aware of the urban poor communities’ understanding of land tenure.
- To analyze the land tenure circumstances of urban poor communities.
- To limit the land tenure issue and provide recommendations to local authorities and the government.
- Methods and Activities
The consultant will work at times remotely as appropriate throughout the consultancy, which is expected to be three months. When working from STT’s premises, STT will offer office space and facilities, including a Wi-Fi connection. The consultant is expected to use certain methodologies as stated below:
- Develop a research methodology in collaboration with STT and partners to respond accurately to the objectives of the research.
- Conduct field visits, interviews, surveys, desk research, case study, adding quotes in the article, and corporate data collection.
- Set up focus group discussions with urban poor communities to discuss their situation and recommendations they may have.
- Organize meetings with STT staff on a regular basis to make sure all research, data collection, and surveys are undertaken using ethical means and accurate data.
- Expected Outcome and Deliverable
The consultant(s) will submit to STT:
- Before the commencement of work, the consultant is required to submit a final proposal including a proposed methodology, a timeframe, and a budget to STT.
- Submission of a draft report.
- Verbal presentations on the progress of the report as appropriate.
- Submission of the final report and presentation to relevant staff and stakeholders.
- Submission of the relevant data in a format agreed with STT.
- Support Team from STT
The consultant will work closely with Research and Documentation Project Manager, Rights to the City Program Manager, Human Resource and Admin Manager, and relevant project managers and staff to facilitate this consultancy. Key contacts are as follows:
|1||Mrs. Korm Chanraksmey||Research and Documentary Project Manageremail@example.com|
|2||Mr. Seang Muoylay||Rights to the City Program Managerfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|3||Mr. Suos Sopheap||Human Resource & Admin Manageremail@example.com|
- Duration and Place of Work
This consultancy will commence as soon as possible, and the duration of the contract will be three months, from the start date. Specific duration will be stated in the service agreement once the consultancy is offered.
- Consultancy Fee
The consultant will be compensated at a competitive rate with a maximum of 8,000.00 US Dollars.
- Required qualifications of the Consultant
STT is looking for a consultant with the following qualifications:
- Experience in a relevant field
- Extensive knowledge of land laws, law on appropriation and relevant laws on land in Cambodian
- Extensive knowledge of international laws, treaty, and conventions related to land and
- Extensive capacity for analysing communities’ settlement in line with national laws
and international laws
- Thorough knowledge of using Excel and/or SPSS for data analysis
- Good communication skills
- Ability to adhere to deadlines and flexibility
- Khmer speaker and/or English is an advantage
- How to Apply
Interested candidates should send their application including: CV highlighting relevant experience, and a proposal to STT through email firstname.lastname@example.org. Note: Only shortlisted applicant (s) will be contacted for discussions and interviews.
Closing date: 29 September 2023
PDF File: Download