- Introduction and Background
Sahmakum Teang Tnaut (STT) is located in Phnom Penh. STT was founded in 2005 and officially registered in 2006 as a local NGO supporting urban poor communities. “Teang Tnaut” means “Palm Leaves” and palm leaves are used by poor communities, to build rooves, and walls for their houses. This simplistic name was chosen to forever remind STT that its work serves the poorest members of society. STT started as a small NGO that focused on technical upgrades in poor communities but over the past decade, many communities have been affected by development, land transfers, and evictions. As a result, STT has since grown to produce community maps, research and advocacy in order to achieve its goal of helping poor communities realize their rights to land and housing. STT’s efforts in Phnom Penh alone have reached 270,000 people. STT and its partners have helped communities express their concerns to national and international media, donors as well as national and international NGOs.
The purpose of the consultancy is to update the existing legal advice sheet in order to reflect new laws and policies that have been implemented in Cambodia. The legal advice sheet is used as a template for providing legal support to urban poor communities. The existing template has six categories and STT staff fill in each category based on information catered to the unique situation of each househould..
- Expected Results and Deliverables
- Before commencement of work the consultant is required to submit a final proposal including methodology, support strategy, work plan and budget, to STT.
- The consultant will review and provide feedback on STT’s existing legal advice sheet
- The consultant will draft recommendations for updates to the legal advice sheet
- The consultant present their feedback to relevant staff
- Reports of the progress of the consultancy with verbal updates of progress as appropriate.
- Finally, the consultant will update STT’s existing legal advice sheet
- Methods and Activities
The consultant will provide STT with the following:
- Updated legal advice sheet
- Presentation of recommendations on STT’s existing legal advice sheet
- Relevant laws and documents as soft copy to STT
- Summary of legal documents which are relevant to STT’s legal advice sheet.
- Support Team from STT
The consultant will work closely with the Housing Rights Project Manager, other relevant project managers and staff to facilitate this consultancy.
- Duration and Place of Work
This consultancy will commence as soon as possible and the duration of the contract will be one and half-months from the start date.
- Consultancy Fee
Thie consultant will be paid at a competitive rate.
- Required qualifications of the Consultant
STT is looking for consultant with the following qualifications:
- Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field.
- Extensive knowledge and concrete professional experience working on legal analysis of Cambodian laws.
- Experience working in an NGO.
- Highly effective team player.
- Good communication skills.
- How to Apply
Interested candidates should send their application and CV highlighting relevant experience and a technical proposal, including budget to STT’s Administration and Human Resources: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing date: October 31, 2021 before 5:00pm.